Sunday, August 22, 2010

Better Get Me To The Church on Time




Most of you know (because we saw you) that we went on vacation for 3 weeks to Florida.

This was exciting, now excitement can be both good and bad, and we had both on this trip, as it took us 5 days to get to Florida we spent 8 days there and it took us 8 more days to get back. We traveled Space A with the military to get to the States, and then commercial once we were stateside.

The reason we went to Florida was, DH's Best Friend since they were like 10 was finally getting married! He brought her here to Oki last time we were stationed here, and we heartily approve of her! SO, we couldn't miss out on the big day! (also they have a 4 bedroom house, so they have room for us and our brood!) It was a short wedding, in their back yard.

At NOON. IN JULY. IN FLORIDA!

The reception lasted the rest of the day and was as informal as the wedding, with finger food an snacks, and "Rock Band" played well into the night.

My camera was safely on DH's desk here on Oki while we were on our adventure so our pics are limited to what I could scavenge from other people. Till right at the end of our trip where we realized that we could purchase "throw away cameras" and have them developed at a 1 hr place.

I was delegated to cutting the fabric for the backdrop for the ceremony and making the rice krispie squares in the wedding colors. This still saddens me, but as our arrival could not be guaranteed the bride could not depend on my skills.

Most of our trip was spent in various terminals and hotels throughout New Orleans, California, and Hawaii. Checking out every morning and hauling our things with us in Taxi's to see if there were any available flights for our family of 6 back to our part of the world.

On the return trip we got "stuck" in Hawaii for 4 days (who wouldn't want to get stuck there right?). I had had enough of hotels, and walking around, bum ankle remember? More on that later I'm sure. So on our very last day (as we had given up on flying Space A, and bought tickets back from Hawaii) I splurged and took the family to the Polynesian Cultural Center (google it, it's worth the effort). I'll link in my flikr page so you can browse all the pics.

In Hawaii, there's a most remarkable breakfast item called the "Loco mocco" it's a bed of rice, with a medium sized hamburger pattie, and 2 fried eggs, covered with brown gravy. MMMMM that thing is DIVINE, if you wait till about 9/930 ish to eat it, all you need for lunch is a fruit cup and you're set till supper time. Also Poi is kinda (almost exactly) like the purple sweet potatoes here.

And if you're a family of 6 going on vacation and on a budget, stay with a newlywed couple, that had too much food at their wedding, your mission, eat all the food! LOL

It was good to see everyone, I wish we could have had more time!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jess! I was facinated when reading your adventures....and I knew almost all this but still lol! I'm glad you had a great time even though your ankle was still gimpy:(.....I comend you for making it great and an adventure, even with pain. Go girl!!!
    I could just imagine how crazy it must have been with kids crying, fighting and hungry or sleepy, tired! (I just described my kiddo at your kids age! lol)

    but stuck in Hawaii was thee best part.....errr I mean besides your friends wedding and left overs! haha...

    So what happened to September food girlfriend? lol jk
    I know you just want to unwind and rest..... hugs & kisses love XD

    ReplyDelete