Sunday, January 17, 2010

bean, beans, the musical fruit, I'll let you take it from here.

With all the kids and myself sick (snot and fevers abounding) cooking is not on the forefront of any one's to-do list. Peanut butter had been done the day before, soup the night before, I was running low on ideas and desire. My friend in Colorado gave me a recipe for black bean salsa last week. I picked up a couple cans of black beans during The Grocery Odyssey of January 2010 to try it out (rather than going through the trouble of cooking the beans in the crock pot all day for some thing I hadn't tried before). I didn't however have everything on the list, like the jalapeno or the cilantro, and I added some corn (a`la the southwestern egg rolls at Chili's) Hurray for Salsa!

Here's my version
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans of diced plain tomatoes, drained
1/3 "family" size bag frozen corn thawed in microwave (not sure how much that it, but it looked to be about the same amount as the beans)
salt to taste
2 Tbs parsley (no cilantro in the house, but it would have been preferred)
1/2 small onion minced into oblivion (you can grate it if you want)
1 cloves garlic smooched
1/2 tsp cumin
dash of cyan pepper (or more if you're not going to feed it to a 10month old)

We ate this with tomato tortillas and smoked oysters in cotton seed oil (the kids like to eat them out of the sardine like can with tooth picks). Not sure if everyone liked this, not sure in my fevered state I care much, it covered the nutritious bases, it was food in the middle of the day, I had it made in about 10 min so I could go back to laying on the couch with my blankie and my box of kleenex. Sorry no pic.

That was yesterday. We are feeling better today, so I am going to the store to pick up a few things for some experiment soup for tonight's supper. If you hear about it again you'll know it was at least edible, if you hear more than that you'll know it was a success.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this cold passes soon! I know the one I had that I gave to my mom and dad was a month-long cold. You don't seem to have the same symptoms I did, at least, so I didn't give you an e-mail "virus."

    (ba dum dum chiiinnngg)

    ReplyDelete