Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Best Laid Plans




Some how we all sleep till 730 this morning! Which was nice, so much for my fancy roast chicken lunch.

I did start the day off with my banana pancakes sans chocolate chips, instead we went with a dash of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla. Even the baby ate 2! Sadly DH wouldn't touch them and I had to whip up some blueberry for him (oddly he eats bananas but not banana flavored things, even when real bananas are involved?).

This is how the rest of the day was supposed to go: DH and DS #1 head out and get their hair cut and stop by the store for the potatoes, while I stay home and get the chicken prepped for the oven. Alternately, we all go to the store (the hair cut place is in the first of the shopping complex which is next door to the commissarry) DH and the boys go get hair cuts while the girls pick up the much needed baby gate and make a quick run for the potatoes. Neither of these things happened. Here's what happened. We took DH to work, then I took all 4 kids to the store for the baby gate, DS #2 socks, diapers, wipes, headbands for DD #1, and running shorts for DH. Then I took the boys down to the barber, where DS #2 decided that he needed a hair cut too (he did just not today). Then a quick bite for lunch at the food court and since we're in the car I try to take the kids to their favorite indoor jungle gym. It's closed. On to the Library, and then the food court with the indoor slide/tunnel thing (not as cool as the jungle gym, but I had to take them somewhere or there'd be mutiny).

I prepped the chicken before we left the house (I buy them whole and then split them down the front and back halving it reserving the innards and back bone/ keel bone for soups) and had it in the pan in the fridge for supper.

1 Tbs Kosher salt
1 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Poultry seasoning
some fresh ground pepper
1 tsp garlic and onion powder

I lift the skin of the chicken and put the herb mix onto the meat, replace skin, and place upside down in a roasting pan with 2 inches of water. Broil for 15 min then flip and cook till crispy and golden brown and juices run clear (or you can use a thermometer, I don't).

Sides for tonight were steamed green beans (the long skinny kind) and egg noodles with mushrooms and Alfredo sauce. Cause oh yeah, I never made it to the commassarry (I told you I loath that place).

No comments:

Post a Comment