Monday, January 4, 2010

Cleaning out the Fridge

This has to be done, and I know nobody wants to eat the same thing very often, but the cheapskate in me just won't let me throw out perfectly good food. So tonight the boys had pork loin roast that was diced and browned then tossed with a carrot, broccoli, cauliflower and pea mix then lightly coated with sesame dressing put over rice. The girls had rice with pinto beans, taco meat (left over from the Taco Rice), collard greens (cooked till tender with some bacon fat) and salsa. It was a surprisingly tasty combo. Sorry no pics, I couldn't bring myself to take a pic of brown on rice with green flecks (sometimes food isn't pretty).

I have big plans for tomorrow tho. Since DH is on swing shift (lunchtime ish to midnight ish) I have to cook in the middle of the day. (I secretly enjoy this because we aren't as tired)

I think I'll start the day off with some banana chocolate chip pancakes. I use Alton Brown's recipe but instead of 2 cups buttermilk I use equal parts milk and sour cream (I can never seam to find buttermilk on Okinawa). I also add 1 cup pureed bananas and a few chocolate chips. These are tasty topped with traditional syrup or apple sauce.
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp sugar
combine well

2 eggs (separated)
1 Cup sour cream
1 Cup milk
4 tbs melted butter

mix egg whites with the milk and sour cream till smooth
and the melted butter (at room temp, I learned the hard way to not add the butter to the egg yolks straight out of the microwave) with the egg yolks.
combine them.
add the wet to the dry and mix with a fork but don't over work it (this isn't gravy lumps never hurt anyone).

grease a griddle/pan...I"m sure you can handle it from here.

I also plan on roasting a chicken tomorrow...this might be my favorite dish. I might even make a run to the dreaded grocery for some sweet and white potatoes to mash.

No comments:

Post a Comment